Thursday, June 23, 2016
Aboriginal Music and Dance Workshop – Friday, May 6/16 (STA Pro-D)
Story telling through movement
Instructor: Olivia Davies (Administrative
Music: Chris Derksen, Mickey Heart, Chris Cawthray
W-UP: In a circle
START WITH ACKNOWLEDGEMENT / WE ARE GUESTS ON THIS EARTH
1) Side steps to R & L – arm movements mimic following thoughts:
“Bring in what you need” / “Let go of what you don’t” / “Giving what you can”
2) Swimming forward & backward with arms
GROUNDING FEET, PALMS, HEAD FOR ENERGY
3) Tip forward & back on feet
4) Yoga breaths / arms reach up & come down
5) Tilt weight in forward lunge / arms come forward & back
6) Gentle swings / can drop head &/or swing arms in opposition
7) Open door knob with one foot forward, on ball of foot
8) Leg swings forward & back
9) Shift body weight by turning body from side to side / feet apart / add arms
“Bringing in what you need”, etc…
10) Clear the mirror (feet in 2nd, circle arms down then opposite way)
11) Close eyes in ballet 1st position & SET INTENTION
12) Releve in 2nd feet position
13) Draw the arrow with lunges side to side / tilt forward for stretch
14) Arms on stomach, circle clockwise the counter clockwise
END OF W-UP
15) bow to your future facing inside of circle / bow to your past facing outside
ACROSS THE FLOOR
1) 4 walks, 2 lunges side to side with arm sweeps
2) Walk forward with arms shooting up & front
3) Step hop, run, run / repeat with run around to R into lunge (R foot back) /
Add step forward in releve with arms above head
PERIPHERAL EXERCISE X X X X
1) 3 people come to center and hold pose
1st person in pose will exit to other side 1st X X X X
WHAT’S YOUR NAME GESTURE CREATION EXERCISE (IN CIRCLE / IN PAIRS)
1) Name gesture (i.e. Lucie = loose / sea – mimic these words/sounds with gestures)
2) Place of birth gesture / share with partner
3) Move inside circle to showcase
Joy of Jigging with Jeanette Kotowich - European & Metis influences
SEE VIDEO TAKEN BY MENELAINE in the box
*Jigging is a social dance for gatherings, harvest, feasts, etc.
1) START IN A CIRCLE / acknowledge the land
2) ACROSS THE FLOOR W-UP:
-heel dig walk (basic step)
-add ball change
-add back shuffle & front shuffle (cross feet)
-ball change on releve
-basic skip (heel scuff, ball change)
-bell kicks / alternate with 2 walks
-travelling reject step
-heel, toe, heel step
3) RED RIVER JIG (Metis National Dance)
-toe step (touch toe to front)
-skip (back & front)
4) SOCIAL DANCE – Dance to crochet: celebrates abundance of harvest
(music: John Arcand)
-line up to face partner X X X X X
-hold hands to go through 1st two to start
-basic step to go back to start X X X X X
-others do DO-SI-DO & clap hands
-2nd time, same 2 go through holding hands then swing partner around at other end
(swing with R arm hold, then L arm), then swing with everyone else down the line
(will be R arm with others & L arm with partner)
5) 7 STEP (also name of song)
-7 steps to R&L (step touches)
-3 steps to R&L
-circle around yourself
6) OTHER DANCES:
- Orange Blossom Special (she demonstrated)/ Heel toe polka / Broom Dance/Belt Dance
COOL DOWN: (Wayne Lavallee – “Buffalo Soldier”)
- in a circle, touch steps to R&L / arms push away, gather into heart, shoot out to give
Wednesday, February 10, 2016
Outbreak Small Teams 2016
DATE: Wednesday, April 20, 2016
PLACE: Enver Creek Secondary Theatre (14505-84 Ave, Surrey)
TIME: Dancer registration is at 4pm (enter @ front of school)
Doors open to public @ 4:30 p.m. (enter @ front of school)
Competition starts @ 5 p.m. & should end @ 8 p.m.
TICKETS: $10 advance sales &/OR at door if any left that night
SEATING: There will be approximately 250 seats in the theatre to be shared between spectators and dancers. Dancers will need to be backstage 3 numbers before they perform.
CONTACT: For general info e-mail Jennifer Twigg at
Please print full name of dancers as I will use this for rosters
COST TO ENTER: $10.00 per dancer per entry
MAKE CHEQUE TO Surrey Secondary (SD#36) Dance Teachers' Association
MAIL TO: Enver Creek Secondary
14505-84 Ave, Surrey, BC V3S 8X2
OR use district mail: Courier #144 – c/o Jennifer Twigg
Dancers must be from same school. Jr. dancers (8,9,10) can dance with Sr. (11,12) but a Sr. may not dance in a Jr. division.
All small teams dances are two minutes maximum. Only two entries per school, per division at this time.
Junior Duo Senior Duo
Junior Trio/Quad Senior Trio/Quad
Junior Small 5-8 Senior Small 5-8
*BEGINNER & INTERMEDIATE BREAK BATTLE only at this event.
Beginner: single power moves not yet combined.
Intermediates: several power moves not yet combined
Teams of 3 required and preferably from same school. No grads.
One run only in preliminary battle. Then, 2 runs each in the final.
Winners in each category are determined at this event.
ADVANCE BREAKERS COMPETE AT OUTBREAK ON April 30th.
ALL SCHOOL RULES APPLY AT THIS EVENT.
Costumes, choreography and music must be appropriate.
Please drag music into The Box by Monday, April 18 at 4:30pm.
We will place top 3 in all divisions or top 6 in larger divisions.
DEADLINE: Friday, April 1st. No refunds after April 11th.
Friday, January 29, 2016
Hosted by Surrey (SD#36) Secondary Dance Teachers' Association
Date: Saturday, April 30, 2016
Time: Doors open to public at 11:30 / Show starts at 12:00pm.
Place: Chandos Pattison Auditorium (10238 168th Street, Surrey)
For general information please contact: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Fees: $125 for first entry in team category/ $100 for each team entry after that.
$125 for first entry in class category / $100 for each class entry after that.
All fees are due by April 1, 2015 and there will be no refunds after April 7, 2016.
General Rules of the Competition
Competition Etiquette and Expectations: All teachers, students and parents will hold the art of dance in the highest regard. There will be no derogatory statements concerning another school or fellow dancer at any time. Students of all ages, sizes, race gender and ability deserve the right to perform and experience the joy of dance. We hold a no negativity rule and it is strictly enforced. Anyone showing non-compliance to this rule be asked to leave the event and may disqualify the school. Teachers or coaches are not permitted to question judges about their scoring. If you have a miscalculation go speak directly to Kate or Paula, so the error can by adjusted as soon as possible. Any other complaints must be made in writing to the Surrey Secondary Dance Teachers' association.
- All numbers must have appropriate content for family viewing. Swearing or vulgar language will result in disqualification.
- Substances that alter the condition of the stage, (i.e. confetti, water, glass props) are not permitted in any category.
- All dancers must be from the same school, with the exception of break dance crews.
- All dance teams must have a minimum of 9 dancers. All classes must have a minimum of 15 dancers.
- Junior dancers may dance with seniors, but seniors cannot dance in a junior division.
- All dance team and class music must be no longer than 3 minutes.
- Music must be edited for all profanities and distasteful lyrics. (severe deductions)
- Music must be dragged into the Box by April 27th at 4:30pm. Please name your music with the number_school_category_name of dance. Coaches can bring an extra copy of their songs on a USB drive for back-up.
- All competitors must act with respect and co-operate with all students and officials of the show.
- Costumes must be appropriate for every dancer. Costumes that show too much cleavage, midriffs, thongs, or boys' underwear will be deducted.
- Remember this is a family show so moves should be respectful of the audience. Judges may deduct for rude gestures or bad taste.
- Open category is any type of dance except hip hop.
- There will be ribbons given out to 6th place in categories for all dancers.
- Teams will receive keeper rosettes from 1-6th for their trophy case and the winning teams will take the permanent trophies home for one year and have their school name added to the trophy. These trophies will be returned for next event in 2017.
- Please pick up your score sheets at the end of the competition.
Best Student Choreography Award
If any of your numbers are choreographed entirely by a student or students attending your school please indicate this on your registration form. Put the choreographers’ name(s) and grade beside the entry. These students will be recognized in the program and there will be an award for best junior and senior choreographer at the end of the show.
This award goes to the school who cheers the most for all of the teams competing. Show the love!
- Please fill out ONE FORM FOR EACH DIVISION ENTRY.
- For multiple entries click on: submit another response
- Please send one roster of all students in alphabetical order with the total number of seats required and send to: email@example.com
- Please make cheques out and send to: Surrey (SD#36) Secondary Dance Teachers' Association/ Enver Creek Secondary ℅ Jennifer Twigg 14505-84 Avenue Surrey, B.C. V3S 8X2 courier# 114