Hosted by: The Surrey Secondary (SD#36) Dance Teachers’ Association and Ecole Panorama Ridge Secondary School
Date: Saturday, January 16, 2016
Where: Panorama Ridge Secondary School
13220 64th ave. Surrey
Time: Doors open to the public at 12:30pm
Show starts at 1:00pm
Registration: Dancers begin registration at 9:30am
A warm-up schedule will be sent out prior to the competition. Dancers will arrive at Panorama Ridge Secondary according to the registration / warm-up schedule.
General Admission: $10 in advance / $15 at the door.
Teachers may pre-order tickets to sell at their school.
Registration Link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1tEZwD-LTbamcHtbsKTsWr9HhpTItlkwuXlj1DShi9LI/viewform?usp=send_form
Please send payment by mail or courier to: “Jennifer Twigg”
Enver Creek Secondary
Surrey, B.C. V3S 8X2
Surrey, B.C. V3S 8X2
* Cheques must be made out to: Surrey Secondary (SD#36) Dance Teachers’ Association
Fees: $125 for first entry in any “class” or “team” division
$100 for second entry in any “class” or “team” division
$30 for break battle crew
All fees are due by December 4, 2015.
There will be no refunds after January 8, 2016.
Classes (based on overall experience level. Any style)
Hip Hop Teams (based on age)
Junior Team (gr.8-10)
Senior Team (gr.11-12
(junior may dance with seniors, not seniors CANNOT dance with juniors)
Open Team (based on age)
Junior or Senior
(anything but street styles...ex. lyrical, contemporary, jazz, stage, modern, etc.)
Break Team (Grades 8-12)
Any grade, any level. Break choreography
Bollywood and/or Bhangra Team (Grades 8-12)
Any grade, any level.
* All schools may enter no more than two entries per division.
EXAMPLE OF POSSIBLE REGISTRATION FEES:
Beginner class: $125 Junior Hip Hop Team: $125
Intermediate class: $100 Senior Hip Hop Team: $100
Advanced class: $100 Advanced Break battle $30
Please remember we need two rosters for registration:
1. We need a school roster in alpha order of all your members and coaches for the registration desk. You are allowed one teacher and two coaches per school. Please total the number of students you will bring to the event at the bottom.
2. We need a list of team members in EACH CATEGORY with their grade. This list is used on envelopes for awards and ribbons.
Please e-mail a copy of your rosters to Jenny-Lynn Jensen: firstname.lastname@example.org
General Rules of the Competition
1. Competition Etiquette and Expectations: All teachers, students and parents will hold the art of dance in the highest regard. There will be no derogatory statements concerning another school or fellow dancer at any time. Students of all ages, sizes, race gender and ability deserve the right to perform and experience the joy of dance. We hold a no negativity rule and it is strictly enforced. Anyone showing non-compliance to this rule be asked to leave the event and may disqualify the school.
2. Teachers or coaches are not permitted to question judges about their scoring. If you have a miscalculation go speak directly to Jenny-Lynn Jensen, so the error can by adjusted as soon as possible. Any other complaints must be made in writing to the Surrey Secondary Dance Teachers’ association.
3. All numbers must have appropriate content for family viewing. Swearing or vulgar language will result in disqualification.
4. Substances that alter the condition of the stage, (i.e. confetti, water, glass props) are not permitted in any category. No boots or shoes than would mark the gym floor. (runners and bare feet only)
5. All dancers must be from the same school, with the exception of break dance crews.
6. All dance teams must have a minimum of 9 dancers. All classes must have a minimum of 15 dancers.
7. Junior dancers may dance with seniors, but seniors cannot dance in a junior division.
8. All dance team and class music must be no longer than 3 minutes, no shorter than 2 minutes
9. Music must be edited for all profanities and distasteful lyrics. (Severe deductions)
10. Music must be brought on a memory stick to the D.J. at the time of warm-up. Coaches can bring an extra copy of their songs on a C.D. for back up.
11. All competitors must act with respect and co-operate with all students and officials of the show.
12. Costumes must be appropriate for every dancer. Costumes that show too much cleavage, thongs, or boy’s underwear will be deducted.
13. Remember this is a family show so moves should be respectful of the audience. Judges may deduct for rude gestures or bad taste.
14. Open category is any type of dance except hip-hop.
There will be ribbons given out to 6th place in categories for all dancers. Teams will receive keeper rosettes from 1-6th for their trophy case and the winning teams will take the permanent trophies home for one year and have their school name added to the trophy. These trophies will be returned for next event, 2017
Please pick up your score sheets at the end of the competition.
Best Student Choreography Award
If any of your numbers are choreographed entirely by a student or students attending your school please indicate this on the online registration form. Put the choreographer’s name(s) and grade beside the entry. These students will be recognized in the program and there will be an award for best junior and senior choreography.
Deadline for Submissions is December 4, 2015
However, this event will fill up long before then. If you register and pay first your team will be placed closer to the last group in a division. If you register and pay later your groups will be in the top section of the division.